Security & Privacy By Design
As experienced developers of Software-as-a-Service applications, data security and high availability are at the heart of both our software design and application hosting operations. Appogee HR applications are hosted in arguably the most secure commercial data-centres in the world certified to ISO 27001 and audited to SSAE 16/ISAE 3402 and SOC 2 Type II standard. Our applications are designed to control and restrict access to your HR data only to those who you have authorised based their roles.
DATA-CENTER HOSTING AND CERTIFICATIONS:
Appogee HR develops its applications on Google App Engine. This is a highly scalable and available application hosting and data centre environment which is secured directly by Google’s information, application and network security teams with over 250 security staff working on behalf of Appogee HR and other ISV’s using the Google Cloud Platform. Google’s data center operations and security capabilities provide Appogee HR with world-class security, performance and availability for our application services as a fully managed 24×7 service. For more information read about Google Data Center security.
Google datacenters and the Google Cloud Platform including Google App Engine have been certified to ISO 27001 certifying:
- Information security policies
- Organization of information security
- Asset management
- Access control
- Physical and environmental security
- Operations security
- Logical security
- Incident management
Google Cloud Platform (Google App Engine) has also passed SSAE 16/ISAE 3402 and SOC 2 Type II Audits.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR DATA:
Appogee HR Application Data Encryption
Encryption at rest
Appogee Leave data is automatically encrypted at rest by the Google Cloud Platform. Data is encrypted under 128-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES-128), and each encryption key is itself encrypted with a regularly rotated set of master keys.
Encryption in transfer
All Appogee Leave servers are hosted with a 2048 bit SSL certificate, which encrypts data between the Appogee Leave user’s browser client and our application servers. Some customer licensing data is transferred within Google data-centers between Appogee’s application and licensing servers and this is also fully encrypted.
Encryption, who controls the keys?
Google control the keys for encryption at rest.
Appogee controls the SSL certificates (between user and application) and the keys for server to server encryption.
Data Redundancy and Backups
- Data is replicated to ensure high availability
- Data is additionally backed up to tertiary storage daily
APPOGEE APPLICATION USER AUTHENTICATION AND ROLE BASED ACCESS
Secure user authentication systems are used to verify the identity of users of the applications. There is a choice of authentication system:
- Appogee Leave usernames and secure passwords can be created to access the applications. This enforces the use of strong, complex passwords. Your passwords are protected by hashing and salting algorithms which mean that they are protected against brute force attacks and additionally means that we never know or store your actual password.
- Google Apps for Work users also can choose to use their Google Account ID’s as Single-sign On to our applications, based on OAuth 2 which is an open standard for providing client applications secure delegated access to server resources. This means that these users are protected by Google’s advanced authentication security.
- Office 365 users can choose to use their Microsoft Account to provide Single Sign On to Appogee Leave, and coming soon for Appogee HR. Based on OAuth 2, the de facto open standard for providing client applications with secure delegated access to server resources, this means you can use the same credentials to access Appogee HR applications as you use to access the cloud hosted versions of Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word used by your organization with all of the security controls enabled by that platform.
Role based access security within the applications means that each user is assigned a role (User, Manager, HR or Administrator). These roles are used by our applications to control and limit the types of data that each user can access dependent on their role and the business rules which you have configured for each type of personnel data.